Our Free Writing

 

We were given this first paragraph and were told to finish the story. These are some of our pieces. 


"I stood on the high, rocky outcrop and gazed down at the sweltering plain below me. The scene was breathtakingly beautiful. A sea of sand spread out and reached as far as the eye could see. The sky above was a deep, rich blue. I could not stay and enjoy this. My friends were out there somewhere and I had to find them. It had been an hour since I had received that one faint radio distress call, then silence. Time was of the essence."






A Quest in the Desert

Francis (5th Class)

I bolted from the high rock, dusty sand filled my eyes heat, struck me like a bolt fire but I did not care. Their distress call, from the inner south, awoke me. I ran and ran and I suddenly felt stone hammer me in the chest, all of a sudden the sandstorm subsided. A towering desert temple filled with artefacts of ancient times. It drew me in like zombies to brains, I couldn’t help but open the mighty door inside.

I looked cautiously around and I spotted a golden pedestal and a rainbow blade. I picked up the rainbow blade, bolted for the door, suddenly about 15 cacti with eyes, mouths and grenades filled with spikes appeared. They ran after me, I took twists and turns and finally lost them. No more sidetracks, I thought to myself, I looked at my map, the rainbow blade arched in my hand.

There was cavern to my left and I got the eerie feeling that this is where the distress call happened. I ventured my way into the cavern and what I saw was a Cyclops, at least 5 times the size of me standing there and next to him my friends, in chains. I ran to the Cyclops and slashed at him leaving a rainbow colour wound.  He picked me up and was about to engulf me when I plunged my blade deep inside his throat. He screamed like a suffering dog and fell dead. My friends cheered me i cut their chains and hugged them “Great job, Apollo” said my friends. “Thanks” I replied hastily “now let’s go home.” We ventured off, out of the cavern but I knew that my journey was far from over.

TO BE CONTINUED...........


Flossing in the Desert

Andrea (5th)


I continued to walk, footprints formed in the sand, following behind me. It was just so magnificent marching on the rich sand. It soon became dark, my legs couldn’t take another step. I tried to find somewhere to sleep, but all I could see was the rich sand, that turned from yellow to white as the night fell. I knelt down, on to the pale sand, and out cold within minutes.

 

As morning came, I got up and dusted the now yellow sand off my body.  I was starving! I looked around me to see if there was a sight of trees that had gorgeous, juicy berries or fruit, then I remembered I was in a desert, which looked like it had nothing but sand and sky! There was no time to stop and look for food, my friends are more important. I trekked on which felt like years. What way shall I go? I thought to myself. Everywhere looks the same! I hoped I wasn’t going in circles or anything.

 

Time passed slowly, in the distance I spotted something that looked like a tiny black dot! I became curious, so I sped up in that direction. It became...bigger?

 

At dusk, I was relieved as the sun was going down.  The amount of sweat that broke out on me was torture! I kept walking to this now bigger dot. I was ten metres from this... HUMAN?! But there wasn’t just one... there were two! I stopped dead when I realised, these humans... are my friends!? They were lying on the ground , either asleep or.. no, no, they’re not dead!! Don’t be silly. I gave my friend, Rachel a nudge. She opened one eye, and sprung to her feet. I think I gave her a heart attack, but anyways.


“Is that you Rachel?” “Is that you Lily?” She responded, not answering my question. “Yes, yes!” I said, “It’s me!” We both did the floss. “Wake up Jasmine!” I said, still flossing. Rachel bent down, and shook Jasmine gently. She opened her eyes, and said “Good morning, Rachel!” Rachel rolled her eyes up to Heaven. “It’s the evening.” I answered. “WHO’S THAT?” She stopped dead when she realised. “Come along girls, we’re going home”. 



Sand- Caoimhe (6th)

I could nothing but the wind, rushing past me as we moved. “Missy” I said to my tabby cat as she settled down for a nap in my backpack “this adventure is loco” being half Spanish I grew up bilingual and switched between English and Spanish regularly.

Three cruel, tiring hours of walking later, we found a narrow sandy cave to settle down in and sleep.

“Help, help” is all I could hear it was my friends!! “Where are you?” I screamed into my radio but there was no answer.

Missy was mad at me because I had awoken her from her slumber. I didn’t care I was too worried about my friends. We shared breakfast it was tinned ham again.

It was night time finally. My friends and I decided to sleep in the blistering hot day and walk at night. Until a mobile shop owner got mad because I was the only one who bought from him and took them away in the day whilst I was sleeping.

We moved as fast as we could leaving all my footprints behind us. Then I saw it real water! I hadn’t had any water in hours. I rushed towards it ready to fill my canteen but then...

There was no water! “Don’t worry” said my friend Lisa “Wait you’re back?” I whispered feeling too weak to talk then she was gone and I felt dizzy, really dizzy.



Desert of Adventure- Charlotte (5th)

I have so many theories on where they are, what they are doing and how they feel. I stare at the view, knowing my friends are out there. The winds sweeps around my ankles, the sand as light as a feather. As the wind makes a whistling sound, a sense of fear comes upon me. How will I ever find them in this desert? Are they okay? Do they know I’m thinking of them? All these questions bounce inside my head. I feel like I’m going to fall, but who will catch me. They wound catch me but they aren’t here. I feel fear but also courage and determination. I start walking down the mountain, pacing effortlessly through the sand, my footsteps making shapes in the sand. I stare at the golden sand beneath my feet. I eventually get to the bottom of the mountain and suddenly stop. I feel like have been walking for a century but really only an hour. I look off in the distance and only see sand. I suddenly have a flashback of me and my friends playing in a sand box, happily playing with the sand and shaping it and feeling like we could never be parted. Now its no laughing matter. We are separated, scared and mindless. The only thing that has stayed the same is us still being friends. I hope. I have no idea how a perfect holiday in the desert could turn into a nightmare. For one frightening moment I think I shouldn’t go to find them but then I realize I’m going crazy. So I walk on. It is all starting to get too much. I walk for 2 hours then take a break. I look up and expect to see a barren land and I was right. There was some cacti but under a cactus was a small gerbil. I was also hearing a weird hissing noise so I looked behind me and there was a massive Gila monster! Luckily he was not hungry. He was actually nice. I suddenly felt the urge to run. I ran as fast as the wind. I saw a big mountain and on it there was these colourful things and noise. I ran even faster up the mountain. It was my friends! I am so glad. It feels as if the fear is pouring out of me and my whole body fills with joy. We are no longer separated.


Sand Doom

Brendan (6th) 

My heat rises again the moment I start running. I think to myself, “Some kind of transportation.” I remember the war we learned about in History class. The thousands of planes that went down. I’m sure I can fix one. I keep on running south like my friend told me before he got cut off. I see a wreck of a ship left from me, the detour will be worth it. The next time me and my friends go on a tour around the world, we need to be more careful. As I come near, I see the shipwreck clearly. As I walk toward the shade of the ship I see a helmet from the pilot that had died and his skeleton not too far away. In disgust I hop into the plane and get to work.

 

To be continued…….



                         The Mountain

Euan- 5th Class

I wasn’t sure where to start, but I knew I had to go somewhere. I had just decided to go through what looked like an endless plain. I have a decent amount of energy but I decided to preserve my energy, so I only walked. I had a rough idea where they were, but I was still worried, it was hard to think that my friends were dead. It was snowing heavily now, very thick snow. I walked through the snow hurriedly. Now there was a big slope up ahead. I couldn’t see any rocks but there could still be cautious, there could be a crevasse anywhere. That’s when I saw it a huge gap in ground, with a 100ft drop. It was scary!!!

I had two options I could either go around but that would take an extra half an hour or I could take the jump! I decided to take the jump, in order for me to take the jump I would have toss my gear over the gap then jump. So I tossed the gear over the gap and it landed safely. Then it was my turn to go, I took a big run up and jumped, I thought I was going to die but I landed on the ledge and pulled myself up. I was safe. I got my gear on my back then started to go north again.

For the next 20 minutes I walked on and then I saw footprints, luckily it was not snowing so I could see them. The footprints looked quite recent, so I started to run. I just kept running following the footprints, then they stopped. I was scared, I slowed down rapidly. I was walking again. Now I was lost in anger I threw my compass into the abyss. Would I ever see my family again? The thought scared me so I tried not to think about it, then it started to snow. Now my chances were slim. Then I saw three figures in the distance, were they my friends?

To be continued….                                                                     

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Samples of our report writing

Bringing History to Life

The Land War- Notes from History Classes September 2019